Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Virgins, Unicorns and Fortune Tellers



Gary Larson - Cartoonist




No, I'm not a virgin, not a unicorn, and not a fortune teller!

The point I'm making is, I don't want to represent myself as being something I'm not. The reason this is so important to me being a Tarot reader, is because there is so much misunderstanding and misrepresentation of Tarot and just what it means. I feel very strongly that I have a clear responsibility to those who might be considering having a reading done, clearly understanding what Tarot is, and what it is not. What Tarot IS NOT is fortune telling or being a fortune teller. I loathe this description of Tarot reading and readers. And whenever I hear some refer to Tarot in this way I quickly clarify it for them.

I've also had people relay their own personal experiences with these so called fortune tellers who told them some very negative, disturbing and destructive information. First and foremost the priority of a reader should be to do no harm. So when I hear of people being warned about impending future happenings and the like, I know they've not only been duped and harmed, but need to be told this isn't what Tarot is about.


Discernment is absolutely paramount when deciding to have a reading and you need to feel that you can have confidence in a trustworthy reader. Would you trust any old mechanic to fix your car? I think not. You ask around for an opinion.

So it's important that you do your home work and some investigative research. Find out what other people's experience has been with a Tarot reader, if you can. Do a little home work yourself about Tarot. There are some reputable online experts on the subject. Trust your intuition.

The Way Tarot Works

“ The way Tarot ' works ' in a predictive sense is as a kind of mirror of the psyche. The archetypal nature of the images strikes hidden, unconscious chords in the card reader, and reflects unknown knowledge or insight in relation to the client's situation-thus apparently revealing things which could not possibly, in any rational way, be discoverable. This is why ' clairvoyant ' or psychic ' powers are not a prerequisite for a sensitive reader, but rather, an awareness of the archetypal patterns or currents at work in life reflected by the images on the cards.
 

Tarot can reveal exactly where you are right now, how you got there and where to best focus your energy. We'll explore opportunities for clearing obstacles on your path by focusing on and activating your natural abilities and capacities. "

The Mythic Tarot is based on archetypes. Carl Jung defines an archetype as being, " An inherited pattern of thought or symbolic imagery defined from the past collective experience" (i.e. Artist, Visionary, Goddess, Healer, Lover, Mentor, Rebel and Warrior)

These archetypes reflect a narrative story and mystery that informs our world and nourishes the soul, something that all human beings long for, and gives meaning to our lives.


The Celtic Cross layout is what I use for my readings. It's one the oldest, most popular and effective spreads, covering up to a six month period of time for the questioner. It can be used to answer specific questions or for general advice about the querent's current life path.

There are many things I love about Tarot and being a reader. But mostly it's being able to work with people and experiencing the reward I feel after having the privilege of doing a reading for someone who is genuinely grateful for having gained more insight and clarity into their particular situation and life journey.  

And if you’re so inclined, I invite you to get yourself a reading.

B. "Hap" Kliban - Cartoonist


No comments: