Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Knight of Cups - The Hopeful Romantic



One of my favourite cards, is the Knight of Cups. Emotion is represented by the suit of cups and being a person who relates in an intuitive manner, on an emotional level, I strongly identify with this card.

The aftermath of Valentine's Day usually lives me feeling rather deflated as a result of all the hype around this very commercialized day, that has generally lost it's meaning in that it is now geared toward couples, who gush about their undying love toward one another. The unspoken message is a presumption that most of us the population is coupled. Reality certainly does not bare this out, but I don't want to get off on a tangent about this.

What I want to talk about is the nature of this Knight of Cups. I ask myself what kind of quest is he on? Firstly he is the mythic hero Perseus who is on a kind of spiritual vision quest and is greatly favoured by goddesses, The Graeae, the three Crones, who knew the secrets of the future.

Perseus is a real romantic and comes to the aid of the damsel in distress. He love's love, worships women, beauty and truth. He defends high ideals and searches always for that perfect love. Kindness, gentleness and idealistic in nature and personality, does not mean he is weak in character. Without the Knight of Cups, it would leave us in a cynical, bleak and a colourless world.

Our world has lost much of this romantic spirit found in the Knight of Cups. I see him as a hopeful romantic, and world needs more of them.

No comments: