Thursday, January 14, 2016

Wheel of Fortune - One Day I Walk

 

I've been nursing a cold between snow storms, here in the heart of rural Nova Scotia. Winter has really arrived now, after having some above normal temperatures for many months. Though I'm never thrilled about the dead of Winter's arrival, I'm slowly learning to accept it and adapt. It's only been 22 years living here in the country, so I guess I'm feeling like I'm finally making progress! I've always been a slow learner, especially when it comes to accepting the things I don't like.

It's the people, places, and the things, we are really challenged by, that allow for the most valuable life lessons learned. It's certainly always been my experience.

Depending on our philosophy or spiritual beliefs, we might have the perspective toward our life's journey, as being a path that we are on. We walk a road of valleys and hills, with craggy sharp rocks, and pastoral countryside along the way, and like a pilgrim we are headed toward home. This is true for me. I'm making another place my home, not of this world.

I am reminded of 1980 when I was in the grand library in downtown Toronto, listening to an old archival Smithsonian Folkways recording by a Capella choir in the mountains of Kentucky sing, I am a Poor Pilgrim of Sorrow. It took me a while, but I found it on line.


Bruce Cockburn's One Day I Walk is the perfect song to listen to on a cold and snowy Winter's day.




2 comments:

Ellen said...

Lovely and mellow song. I think we are going to have a snow less winter and I'll miss it a lot. The temperatures are too high here for a real winter feel. :(

Unknown said...

Bruce Cockburn is a Canadian icon. I've been listening to him since I was 17 years old. An incredible musician and lyricist, with such a social conscience.

I'm so glad you like the song. Well we were supposed to get another dump of snow now the forecast has changed to freezing rain. Ick, that's really dangerous stuff. Glad I don't have to be any where!