Sunday, January 24, 2016

Ten of Swords - What Gets You Singin'?



Athene is giving those Furies the finger, telling them that's enough, back off, and has read them the riot act. The Furies have beat this poor bugger down to a pulp, and he appears to be dead in the water, without hope.
The Ten of Swords might look like a card of dread, defeat and victimization. And it a way it is, but there is hope and relief ahead. Oretes unconscious on the ground, is symbolic of a Christ-like kind of figure. Some might see Oretes as being symbolic of a victim.

There exists in this universe a life force for good, that helps us to find inner strength, and enables us to rise above our seemingly hopeless situation. I know this to be true, because I am speaking from personal experience. You don't have to look very far in this world to see examples of such horrendous circumstance that many have overcome. They come out the other side, and not only to lift themselves out of their situation, they will often help others to do the same through their example their own experience of strength and hope that comes from a power greater than themselves, from this life force.

I remember years ago, sitting in a living room with an elder, who I had so much respect for and greatly admired. She had been through so much suffering in her life. She was so strong, full of compassion, wisdom, humility, and gratitude. I put the question to her. Why is it many seem to get through life without suffering, and others get more than their share?

She had no pat answer, but she did share this. She said people who do experience more suffering are often able to experience compassion and empathy toward others, and have a depth of character that is often lacking in the individuals who don't experience this kind of walk in life.

I read the other day a comment the struck me, from another wise and spiritual woman. She stated that the Divine is not found in suffering but is found in joy. I've thought about this, and I asked myself is there joy to be found in suffering? I don't think so. But perhaps there is beauty and hope not because of the suffering itself, but because of what a person believes and how it changes them, and then they begin to can feel joy and the Divine.

I don't have the answers to this, but I know there are many important life lessons to learn through the struggle and heartache that comes with life. I do believe the God of my own understanding comes in through my wounds. We have the opportunity to decide how we respond to those wounds. We either lay down and give up, or we sing a special song, and maybe we even dance till the end of love.

I think Leonard Cohen said it best in his song You Got Me Singing.

4 comments:

Ellen said...

I think the Joy after the suffering is so much more intense then the joy after a dose of daily joys
I have suffered a lot in my life and have known great sadness but life is what it is and it as made me the woman I am to day for which I am so grateful
Hugs

Unknown said...


"I think the Joy after the suffering is so much more intense then the joy after a dose of daily joys." Oh I do sure identify with that Ellen! I supposed it's when we go through so much when we come out in one piece we are so grateful, and that sure brings us that kind of sweet happiness and joy of being happy once again!

Thank you Ellen so much for that heart felt message. Beautiful soul that you are<3

Ellen said...

Aw thank you my dear friend! That is so sweet of you to say.
Big Grateful Hug :D

Unknown said...

Great Big Grateful Hug Back<3