Saturday, October 4, 2014

The Chariot - Fear & Love



 This Major Arcana card, The Chariot is linked to the Moon, and to the astrological sign of Cancer.
 There are strong emotions here, but simultaneously it symbolizes balance between negative and positive, ying and yang, to achieve success in order to control the direction of one's life. It's been said that true love castes out fear.

Today I read a review of a late artist I love and deeply admire. The critic stated the particular artist reflected a constipated terror in his paintings. I thought this was a very negative and offensive thing to say, however I think it is a accurate description of the way fear can make you feel, leaving us emotionally drained, weak, powerless, and out of control,

 We must understand the nature of good and evil. Maintaining focus, attending to details, which can be difficult for many of us living in a hurried, and overindulgent world, particularly in the West. We can get caught up in our own problems, wants and needs, becoming myopic in our perception.

 We can't allow ourselves to be controlled by fear, but need to allow love to direct our lives.




6 comments:

thesycamoretree said...

The Chariot always makes me think of a line in the Bhagavad Gita:
"The senses have been conditioned by attraction to the pleasant and aversion to the unpleasant: we should not be ruled by them; they are obstacles on our path." Of course I'd add the emotions to the senses in this case.
I had a look at the artist's paintings, and I like them. I understand some might not, but to me that is what art is about. Expressing what you see and feel in a unique way!

Unknown said...

Great quote Bev! I'll right that one down in my journal. Glad you looked at Alex Colville's paintings. He was a deep individual, and I wished I could have had a chance to meet him.

Yes art is both subjective and objective and as artists I think it is important to allow for the viewer's interpretation.
Thank you for your great comment Bev.

Ellen said...

I've googled this artist too and it seemed to me like you come to a complete standstill when you look at his paintings Even the horse running towards the train seems to float in the air. This in contrast to your Chariot which radiates movement and confidence.
I guess our whole life we seek for balance and the moment we find it we lose it again to chaos.

Unknown said...

Really interesting comparison and contrast you've made Ellen. I can't help but think because Alex Colville was on the front lines in WW11 as a war artist, he experienced PTSD and became acutely aware of the fragility of life and the passage of time. He was married to his wife Rhoda for 70 years and was devoted to his family. He died just this year not long after loosing Rhoda. He left a wonderful legacy.

Neopagan Priestess said...

Interesting, I can't see the misogynism in his images, nor constipated terror… That's a great expression, though - holding tight with fear, which we so often do. Trying to control the uncontrollable. Powerful stuff!

Unknown said...

Me either NP. I've studied Alex Colville's work for a number of years now. It stupefies me really, and has me baffled. But you know people will bash folks in the public eye for lots of petty reasons, envy for one and just because they can. Critics think they are very important!
Thanks for your great comments!