Thursday, October 16, 2014

Knight of Swords - The Hero

 


We all need a hero. I have been fortunate and blessed to have had an big brother, who was ten years older than me, and he really was my hero. He was not one like Sir Lancelot, or like the Knight of Swords, and never really rushed in to save the day,  without thinking, except on a few occasions, when I was young. Ralph however was very protective, charming, and everyone who met him, loved him.

 Why I consider him my hero, is because of the example he set for me. He embodied all the characteristics I admire in another, and in those we call heroes. He possessed perseverance, courage, and faith, in spite of all the odds, and was never afraid to show his emotion and affection.

My big brother was the salt of the earth, shot straight from the hip, and his wonderful sometimes dark sense of humour always came shining through regardless of how bad circumstances became. For me, Ralph set the bar, the standard for the way a man and a hero should be, and for that matter, he was an example for anyone.

Sadly, I lost my loving brother to Multiple Sclerosis 12 years ago, when he 59. I miss him more than words could ever express. He will always be my hero. <3




5 comments:

Ellen said...

My dear Catherine I know I little bit of your life and also of your losses and I want you to know I have deepest respect for how you have fought and overcome. The losses are still there but are allowed to be felt. which is in turn so brave of you.
Warm en gentle hugs
Gentle Hug from one who

Unknown said...

Thank you Ellen. You kind thoughts are most comforting. <3

Ellen said...

understands

thesycamoretree said...

What a wonderful, supportive brother you had. Some people lead such a life that it is a gift to all who come in contact with them. It sounds like Ralph was one of those special folks.

Unknown said...

Thank you Bev. Yes, I was very blessed to have him in my life. Being ten years apart, he grew up in the 50s and me the 60s so it was a little rough at times, especially, when I hit puberty, we had our 'differences', but that sorted itself out and we became closer once I got over myself! ;) I learned so much from him.