Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Nine of Swords - The Darkest Hour Is Just Before Dawn

 


The Nine of Swords is a card the describes a psychological state of mind indicating that we are having many sleepless nights, because we are carrying burdens, overwhelming feelings of failure, disaster and impending dread. We may have guilt about the past and fear what the future repercussions will bring. This is a psychological problem not based on reality.

I've always agreed that action through prayer is the antidote to worry. Just my opinion. Most people I think would agree, worry is not constructive, and can make us psychologically and even physically unhealthy. Worry simply fuels anxiety, and signals a lack of trust and faith. We feel hopeless.

 Many think it is a virtuous thing to do, in that it reflects care and concern. Fretting and worry can be a habitual reaction. In extreme cases, it is being in a constant state of hyper vigilance, and is often a way of being for many, especially if we have grown up in troubled family situations, or had traumatic events happen.

We do not have to be a prisoner of our fear and sense of hopelessness. We can seek help for ourselves, if we reach out to change.

There is nothing we can do to change the past, and projecting into the future is futile. It does nothing to improve our lives or our state of well being, and happiness.

The Nine of Swords reminds me of a time when I saw a young punk rocker years ago. He was wearing a button which said, "Hope For The Hopeless ". To me it said it all, and made me smile and feel very hopeful. 



2 comments:

Ellen said...

I've been in this state of mind for a long time but I've learned as you said the only thing that matters is the here and now. It still is difficult but when I find my self worrying and spiraling down I get up and do something to focus my mind on something else. Most of the time this is enough to stop this nine of swords energy

Unknown said...

I really empathize and identify with this Ellen. As a recovering person for 20 years now, I have learned to apply tools like living in the moment, one day at a time. But I do have to remind myself to apply these tools and do what I need to do to take care of myself, which can be a challenge!
It really is a daily reprieve. Thank you so much for your comments.